10 Ways to Keep Warm This Winter
It seems that all anyone is talking about at the moment is the weather. Echoes of ‘it’s so cold’ were heard as each dealchecker arrived at HQ this morning. The heaters are on full whack and the girls are layered up with hats, scarves and of course thermal vests and thick socks. We Brits are not known for our hardy approach to dealing with cold and would sooner turn up the thermostat or plug in another electric heater than consider alternative, more environmentally friendly ways of keeping warm. So as my eco conscience kicks in and I contemplate my carbon footprint (and imminent whopping British Gas bill) I thought I would provide you with 10 top tips for keeping warm this winter!
- Book a holiday. Obviously this is our personal favourite! Working at dealchecker means we’re constantly bombarded with amazing pictures and deals to Dubai, Egypt, Maldives, Thailand… Unfortunately we’re stuck at work, but if you’ve got the time free check out our holiday deals to find last minute bargains to warmer climes….(ok this contradicts the carbon footprint concern but is a great way to keep warm!)
- Keep a hot water bottle (even in your bag so you can fill it up wherever you are).
- Wear layers. Lots of thin layers are better than one big one and tuck the layers in.
- Wear a hat and thick socks – you lose most heat through your head and feet.
- Eat well. A balanced diet is essential to ward off colds and flu. Soups, casseroles and stews are warming favourites. Leave the oven door open once you have finished cooking so the hot air circulates.
- Drink hot drinks – they act as a little radiator (if you keep them close). Mulled wine and hot toddy’s are famous winter warmers.
- Keep active. Moving around gets the blood flowing around the body and will help to keep you warm. Don’t sit still for too long – space out some activities throughout the day
- Stop smoking. As smokers now have to go outside to smoke by giving up you are reducing the amount of time spent outside and therefore in the cold plus smoking slows circulation so you will get cold quicker.
- Close the windows and block out any draughts under doors.
- Layer up blankets on your bed, make it super cosy (although this makes it even harder to get out of bed the morning!)
With this cold spell due to last a little while longer, any other suggestions would be most welcome!
Top image from DWRose